Point Based System Applications

Tier 1


The investor category is designed to allow high net worth individuals make a substantial financial investment in the United Kingdom. Unlike our work permit scheme, you do not need a job offer to apply under the investor category. When you apply you are awarded points based on your ability to invest £2,000,000 in the United Kingdom.

You can apply under the investor category now if you are:

  • in the United Kingdom and want to make an initial application as an investor (known as switching);
  • already in the United Kingdom as a tier 1 investor or as an investor under the former category, and want to extend your permission to stay within the tier 1 investor category; 
  • applying for permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as 'entry clearance') under the investor category.



You can apply for an Innovator visa if:

You must have at least £50,000 in investment funds if you want to set up a new business. You do not need funds if your business is already established and has been endorsed for an earlier visa.


Exceptional Talent 

Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) is for people who are internationally recognised as world leaders or potential world-leading talent in the fields of science and the arts, and who wish to work in the UK.

You cannot apply under Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) if you are already in the UK.  



Before you apply you need to have your business or business idea assessed by an approved body.

They will provide you with an endorsement letter if your business is viable.

You must also:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • meet the English language requirement
  • be able to prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself while you’re in the UK


Tier 2 Work Permit

Tier 2 category under Points-Based System has 4 sub-categories:

  • Tier 2 (General) which replaced most categories which used to qualify under the old Work Permit rules;
  • Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer);
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson);
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion).

Tier 4 Students

On 21 April 2011changes were introduced to the existing Tier 4 Student category by the UK Border Agency. Students will continue to show their studies are adequately and privately funded which also includes their accompanying dependents. Funding may also be provided by their own Government sponsoring them.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) is required from the UK institution and provides 30 points towards the total 40 points required under this category.

The remaining 10 points are awarded for the maintenance and fees required for your studies and stay in the UK. The level of funds and maintenance will vary on how long the course is and whether it is inner or outer London.

All students continue to show they meet the English language requirement under Tier 4 and the following applies. If the CAS was issued before 21 April 2011, the minimum level of English language under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) should be at level under B1 unless the course is above a degree level or at NQF level 6 National Qualifications Framework (equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree); or

Your course is a foundation degree, or an HND in Scotland; or

Your course is a pre-sessional course that you will take before taking a degree course in the UK; or

You are a government-sponsored student who wants to study an English language course; or

You are a national of a majority English-speaking country. 

If your CAS was issued after 21 April 2011, your education provider must ensure that 

You are competent in English language at a minimum of CEFR level B2, if you will be enrolling on a course at NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 or above (unless you are a gifted student studying at a higher education institution - this has to be evidenced by the Academic Registrar of the institution); or 

You are competent in English language at a minimum of CEFR level B1, if you will be enrolling on a course at NQF 3-5/QCF 3-5/SCQF 6-8; or 

You are a national of a majority English-speaking country. 


Tier 5 Temporary Workers

On 26 November 2008 the following catgegories were closed; Au Pairs, Gap Year, Japan Youth exchange, Visiting Religious workers and Religious Workers in non pastoral roles, Overseas Government employees, Voluntary workers and Working Holiday. Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) has five categories: 

Creative and sporting - for people coming to the United Kingdom to work or perform as sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists; 

Charity worker - for people coming to the United Kingdom to do voluntary, unpaid work for a charity; 

Religious worker - for people coming to the United Kingdom to work as religious workers. Duties may include preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work; 

Government authorised exchange - for people coming to the United Kingdom through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice 

International agreement - for people coming to the United Kingdom under contract to provide a service that is covered under international law. 

All applicants under Tier 5 will need a Tier 5 Sponsor which is a UK-based organization wishing to employ you in the UK

All applicants must ensure they meet the Maintenance requirements. Only an A Rated Sponsor can certify that he will be responsible for the maintenance.

For a more detailed advice on your situation, we strongly advise to contact us.